Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What can cause an asp.net web service error?

Preface:

Last month I faced a problem in our production server that all the newly hosted websites threw javascript error. When I debugged further with firebug, I noticed that the web service calls were failing.

Reason:

Our website requires ABCpdf 8.1 but our server had version 7.0, that caused the error. Because in the latest release we upgraded ABCpdf to 8.1 in our development environment, but in the production environment.

Technical Details:

The error message was '/Site_URL/SampleWebService.asmx' has not been pre-compiled, and cannot be requested. I couldn't figure out the problem with the help of eventlog or application log. Google search also didn't help me. Finally I figured out that, the problem can occur when CLR tries to load any earlier revison of dll file, but the application was compiled with the latest version of dll. In this case the CLR failed to load ABCpdf 7.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment